If you haven’t already heard, summers in the DC area are the best! Although there are still a ton of activities to do during the winter, no one actually wants to go outside if they don’t have to. The cold up here is really on a different level, or at least it wasn’t what I was used to coming from North Carolina! Even though I’ve lived here for almost two years now (sheesh, time is flying!) there are still so many fun things to do in DC. Some of these activities I have done and loved–which is why I want to do them again this year and some I haven’t ever done! If you find yourself in the area these are all super fun activities!
1.Find another festival to go to (Possibly Smithsonian Folklife Festival), I already went to the Caribbean Wine and Music Festival in May.
2. Go to Jazz in the Garden on a Friday afternoon
3. Go to H-Street Festival in September
4. 17th Street Festival in August
5. Checkout Truckeroo (only happens one Friday a month through October)
6. Try out 3 new brunch spots (a staple activity for any list of fun things to do in DC)
7. Go Paddle Boating in the tidal basin (Check out Tidal Basin Paddle Boats)
8. Go to the beach (either VA beach or Ocean City)
9. Check out the new restaurants and scene at the Wharf
10. Friday’s at the Fountain (Crystal City)
11. Check out a rooftop bar (Kimpton Donovan Hotel, el techo, perry’s, Takoda, colada shop, columbia room punch garden, roofers union)
12. Go to one Drink the District Events (I usually find tickets for these events at a discounted rate on Groupon)
13. Visit a botanical garden (Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens or Bartholy Gardens) I visited a nice garden in Chicago that I loved and mentioned in my post on activities to do in Chicago here.
14. Rent bikes and explore the city
15. Go to an outdoor movie screening
16. Visit the weekly Sunday Drum Circle
17. Explore more DC neighborhoods (Shaw, Adams Morgan)
18. Visit a new museum. This site here lists out all the good ones with details!
19. Find the most Instagrammable places in DC – Check out some of the suggestions listed on this site here
20. Be super touristy and visit the monuments at night
21. Check out Union Market and Eastern Market (Bonus 🙂 )
Be sure to follow me on Instagram here to see how I move through this list! If you live in the area, what is on your list of fun things to do in DC?