What inspired you to start the Concreteislandista?
I was inspired to start my blog out of a career slump. I work in the fashion industry, and it’s very hard to find full-time work. I had just lost my first job in the industry and was becoming desperate. I had seen bloggers before and decided to start researching what went into it. After a few months of research, I made the plunge in Jan 2016. It continued to grow, so much that now I’m an Editorial Manager for a magazine and I’m starting a YouTube channel. My blog has taught me that I’m supposed to be in the editorial world of fashion.
What was the hardest part of starting your blog or becoming a Fashion Professional?
The hardest part about starting the blog was not giving up. Since I was new still, I wasn’t seeing growth as fast as I thought. Also, ideas on what to write, since I was new I had less to talk about. I used Pinterest to teach myself almost everything on blogging ( I still do).
Who are a few Boss Ladies that you look up to or that inspire you?
The Boss Lady I look up to is my mom. She raised me as a single mother and went back to school and got a Masters Degree. She is also a survivor of domestic abuse, she is strong and smart. She doesn’t give up. Bethenny Frankel is awesome as well, I love how she made a successful business out of nothing. I love Michelle Obama, Rebecca Minkoff… strong, independent, smart women who are hustlers are my type of women.
What is are 3 resources you can’t live without for your blog?
My iPhone, My Microsoft Surface 2-in-1 tablet, Notebooks( I write everything down both for the fashion industry, my blog and the magazine)
Did you feel prepared when you launched your blog? What helped you feel confident in starting or in being a fashion professional?
I felt confident because I am the type of person that does a lot of homework before I start something. I also knew I wouldn’t give up easily and I was realistic that it wouldn’t be easy. I think because I have a background in a tough industry I knew I would make the blog work. Pinterest helped a lot! So yes I felt prepared, although I didn’t have all the answers yet.
What is your favorite quote?
I don’t have a favorite quote. Although my favorite word is HUSTLE! It embodies my never-ending drive to better myself. My need and want to grow, makes me hustle. Also to survive in the fashion industry you have to know how to take different jobs and learn quickly. Essentially you must hustle within the industry to grow and not give up every time you receive a “NO”.
How do you wish to impact your community/the world with what you’re offering? What’s your ultimate goal as a fashion professional?
I would love to impact my community by inspiring other women and Latinas, in particular, to be independent. To show them that you can have your own business, you can be smart, strong and independent. Women I’ve gone to college with have told me they were proud of me and what I’m doing. Some have even asked for business tips. Which is amazing, but it is just a matter of educating oneself, starting and not giving up. My ultimate goal is to continue to grow my business until it is self-sustaining and to feel that my career (whether in fashion, editorial or both ) is exactly what I want to be doing. Being my own boss would be ideal! I also want to repay my mom, for all her support. That is a huge goal for me as well.
- Cook or Eat out: Eat Out– I cook, but I don’t enjoy it lol! I get distracted easily and burn things, which makes me frustrated at the whole process. I do enjoy baking though!
- Shop in-store or Online: Shop in store. Although I love online shopping, but being able to try everything on is fun! And more accurate!
- Book or Kindle: Book! I have a Kindle and hardly use it. I love the feel of the paper, this is also why I love notebooks. I’m old fashion when it comes to books and paper.
- Netflix or Hulu: Netflix... I just got Hulu so I’ve only watched a few episodes of Handmaid’s Tale. Netflix has so many shows I love! Particularly ones set in Spain and the U.K.
- Sweet or Salty: Sweet! I have a huge sweet tooth.
- Sneakers or heels: Heels. I don’t own many sneakers.
Where can we find you?!
- Site: http://concreteislandista.com/
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/concreteislandista
- Twitter: twitter.com/ts2293
- Facebook: facebook.com/concreteislandista
- Pinterest: pinterest.com/concreteislandista/
- Youtube: Check out her page: here
If you would like to nominate someone (or yourself) for the Boss Lady Spotlight, please connect with me through the contact page or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!